Article Summary:
This article gives a teacher is who beginning to consider using technology in their classroom some basic tips before getting started. It give specific ideas for planning and preparing to use technology as well as some ideas for technology-based classroom activities. The author describes graphic organizers, spreadsheets, graphs, and simulations which can help students learn. Some of the article's references to "new" services like American On-Line and its mentioning of laserdiscs do date the article, but the main points still remain relevant. One of the main ideas that the author tries to convey is that educators should "aim for the use of curriculum-driven software; not software-driven curriculum." I will discuss this point in my response section...
Response to Article:
Teachers should have curriculum-driven software. They should not have software-driven curriculum. I whole-heartedly agree with this idea. If I am going to teach a biology lesson on plant respiration, my initial thoughts should not go to "Well, how can I use a computer to teach this lesson?" Instead, a good instructor should consider the points and material that they wish to cover. Once this is done and a basic lesson plan is made, then the instructor should begin to consider the potential for technology to supplement their lesson plans. Again, if teaching a lesson on plant respiration, I would want to teach the students about both photosynthesis and cellular respiration. One great way to demonstrate this is to use gas probes hooked up to a computer logger to track the use of oxygen and carbon dioxide over time. By using technology in this way, it is a positive supplement to the lesson rather than the focus of it. It allows students to see plant respiration in a very visual and quantitative manner, and the original goal of the lesson plan would be met. As a biology teacher, I should not design an entire unit plan around using oxygen and carbon dioxide gas sensors just because we have access to that technology. Technology needs to be the supplement to our respective content-area lessons, not the focus.
No comments:
Post a Comment