Article Summary:
This is a very short article which describes the uses of PDA's in the college classroom. Basically, the author talks about the diffferent implementations for PDA's and whether or not the PDA's have applicable software. That's pretty much it...
The author does list ideas about using PDA's in a college courses for scheduling, sharing documents, and word processing. He also lists a couple custom applications, but that's the extent of the discussion.
Response to Article:
I wanted to read this article since it was written back in 2002. I always think that it's interesting to read older articles which are discussing a "new" technology. In a way, it's like watching a movie where you already know that the end is going to be. Now, since it's seven years after the article was written, I know the actual results to this author's predictions.
Honestly, I don't know anyone who owns a PDA. In many ways, this technology seems to have gone by the wayside with the advent of more advanced, multitasking cell phones. However, Most of the ideas written about in this article - using PDA's for sharing digital copies of course paperwork - are indeed being utilized in college classrooms today. However, sharing such coursework is done through the internet. I think that the author of this article was accurate in his predictions of how teachers could start utilizing technology in the classroom, but he was wrong in the prediction that the actual manipulation of files would be done with PDA's. I certainly know many, many people who access course websites with their own laptops and cell phones, but I don't know a single person who owns a PDA.
No comments:
Post a Comment