Article Summary:
This article outlined many different forms of assistive technology for students with disabilities. From students who have cerebral palsy using a computer device for speech to students with reading problems using a piece of paper through which they can only read a single line of text, the author went through numerous stories of disabled students utilizing technology in order to succeed in the classroom. Little other information was given. The article was basically a series of paragraphs which outlined a given disability and the device that the disabled person used to overcome their handicap.
Article Review:
After reading the article and looking through the comments made, I think that this article is a nice resource for listing out certain disabilities and the assistive technology that exists in order to help the disabled individuals. Especially considering the comments that follow the article, it would seem that one of the fundamental issues that must be overcome is simply letting people know of the technology that exists to help handicapped individuals. Almost every comment made alluded to the fact that the people had no idea such technology existed. It may sound cheesy, but I am using a computer program right now that is typing the words that I speak. I had no idea that this program existed until my special education professor happened to mention it in one of our classes a week ago. It just so happened that I remembered his comment after I had broken my collarbone and have since become unable to type for myself. This technology has been very helpful, and I do not know what I would have done without it. Simply letting people know that such technology exists for individuals with disabilities is definitely the biggest obstacle that must be overcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment